Monday 16 January 2023

Divorce Culture: My 2Cent!



Divorce is becoming a way of life in Nigeria, and if you think this is only common among celebrities, then think again, because if you look around you, you may well have that one relative or close friend or acquaintance who is either separated or who is currently undergoing a divorce. 


Ireti Doyle was the most recent shocker. I literally screamed in the kitchen when I read this yesterday morning, my wife thought I had chopped off my finger with the kitchen knife. In the last one year alone I have lost count. The social media has not made it any easier as people’s life’s and relationships have been brought before the ‘judgement seat’ of social media. I am literally waiting to hear Basket Mouth share a joke about his divorce the same way he had several jokes about his wife. 🙈


Jokes apart though, to be fair, relationships, let alone marriage, is one of the most difficult jobs on earth, no capping! I listened to one preacher say, if your marriage is like being a frying pan, then get fried 😊 I’ll let you make whatever you can out of this unconventional statement. But here is my 2 cent sha… 


  1. There is no such thing as ‘the right person’ in marriage. Don’t be deceived by all the many relationship bloggers on IG, marriage is hard work guys, doesn’t matter if your spouse is an angel, the mere fact that you are human means that your selfishness will manifest sometimes and that ‘angel’ will piss you off badly and maybe regularly. I don’t know how else to say it sha, but there is so much more to it than the ass grabs, the stolen kisses, the public paparazzi, the awwwn-ish skits (whatever that means), the sex and fill in the blanks. If you are not ready for the job, stay clear! 🙏🏽
  2. The boobs, nice ass, 6 packs, and figure 8 are all beautiful stuff, but when the chips are down, you will be willing to walk away from all of them. Pay attention to the things that matter the most; faith, and values.
  3. Love is so much more than just a feeling. Beyond all the butterflies in the belly and incredible emotions, love is a very strong commitment.
  4. Forgiveness is key! Always be ready to give your partner a million chances over. You don’t have to put or keep yourself in harms way, but don’t ever shut the door to forgiveness. 
  5. Social media is a trap, don’t get carried away guys. Keep private business private, because at the end of the day, nobody send you for ‘these streets’ 🤷🏽‍♂️


Imagine that, with all the blunders you have made so far in your short life, you wake up one morning and God says He can’t put up with you anymore, and He is leaving. Unthinkable right? That’s how marriage ought to be; “as Christ loves the church” (Eph. 5:25). Forgive me, but talking about marriage without the Bible is like trying to fix a product without the manufacturer’s manual. 


Am not saying you should stay in a toxic environment/relationship, but be careful  not to get into one in the first place, and even if you did, quitting may not be an option. But I mean, what do I know? 


Did a post about finding the right person to marry a while back though, you can read it here

Please what’s your 2 cents on this matter abeg? Feel free to disagree with me in the comments section! 👍 


#myrandomweeklythoughts

4 comments:

  1. This is a breather for me. I believe there is still hope for marriages and that there are many happy marriages out there that need to share their stories. The 5 points you made are very important and whoever is going into a marriage relationship should not neglect placing these things as a foundation. The media has painted and is still painting a lot of marriage pictures that are not sustainable and we need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this… I started to wonder what I’d do on days my partner is not “an Angel” the point on forgiveness hit home. I’m learning to be more forgiving and this definitely a sign for I hold on to minor hurts so much. Anyways this is an amazing piece, would definitely be coming back to read this again once ain’t enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your points are very valid and I agree to all

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read. I will like to hear from you, kindly leave me your thoughts.

It is POssible!

This one is going to be really short, so you can read all of it in 60 seconds. I have delayed writing anything about this election until now...